The Thirty-One Day Minimalist, starts tomorrow, October 1st.
I recently read a post that talked about playing a Minimalist Game. The game where one would get rid of the number of items that corresponds to the number of the day of the month.
For example, on the 1st = one item, the 2nd = two items, the 3rd = three items and so on until the 31st day. Added up 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28+29+30+31 = 496 items in one month.
Easy. Or is it?
As much as I have done to “de-clutter” my home in the last two years, there is still SO MUCH STUFF!! I love a game, I love numbers and this is one of the few hobbies I have come across that doesn’t include money, calories, sweat, a babysitter, a ridiculous time commitment and I can write about it. I haven’t written for fun in 10 years. Why not?
I consulted my sister and husband about my crazy idea, they will be the line judges if there is any gray area interpreting the rules for the game.
- Items must be committed to discard on the day they correspond to, for example on the first, I must choose one item. These items must be gone from the house one week after committing to each;by means of sale, trash can, donation, etc.
- I can chose to list an item for sale, but if I count it as part of the game and it is not sold one week from the day of committing the item to the 496; it must be given to charity.
- An item that is part of a greater item, doesn’t count individually. For example: a pair of socks is ONE item; a box of crayons is ONE item; if I gathered up 20 random crayons, these would be each ONE item.
- Trash doesn’t count. The discarded items must have had value at one time. Receipts, junk mail, my daughters homework doesn’t count.
- I may purchase items, but they will be subtracted from the daily total to count; and a comparable item must be discarded for the new item (one in one out.) Example: I can’t buy a pair of jeans, and discard a pair of socks.
- Consumables purchased during the month are exempt from being counted against my daily total: diapers, food, beverages, shampoo, etc.
The thirty-one day game starts tomorrow, with one item.
From there, at least 495 more have got to go by October 31st.